Custom Search

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Off to the Movies

I did this fun meme about firsts, which caused me to google what I remembered about the first movie I ever saw. Which wasn't much. I went with Yvonne (surprise) but I can't remember where we saw it or how we got there. I started with top disney movies and found a good list by year but I soon realized that whatever twisted film we saw was not of the Disney derivation. This film was scary and dark, I remember that. So I threw in scary and dark and found a babble list. And lo and behold friends...

Indeed. My first movie was The Dark Crystal.


From Babble:
That Jim Henson, God bless his soul, was one dark dude. Riding high on the success of The Muppet Show, Jim took his Hollywood leverage and made this doozy for the kiddies. Miss Piggy- and Gonzo-loving kids and parents must have thought this J.R.R. Tolkien-like epic would be an adorable Kermit-dressed-as-a-Hobbit romp. What they got were the Skeksis, lizard bird creatures that ate other Muppets and shrieked in such a way, I still can't get it out of my head. Then there’s the Crypt Keeper-looking Muppet who takes her eyeballs out and throws them at people. Oh, and those gigantic beetle things with their skin-crawling chattering — always with the chattering.


Says a lot about how often Yvonne went out, I am sure she had no idea it was dark and terrifying (and I liked that a little). It was just one of many of our misadventures, but I enjoyed the trip down memory lane. I wonder what movie will be Huntie's first foray into the celluloid. I was hoping a Harry Potter, but no such luck I don't think. I know one thing for sure, I am glad Henson has passed on and taken his idea of a children's movie with him...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.